The Book of Me – Written by You is a weekly blog prompt created by Julie Goucher of the blog Angler’s Rest. This is a fifteen month writing project to highlight my life so that I will have something to leave behind for my descendants. Week sixteen’s prompt is Message in a Bottle.
- If you were to physically write or virtually write a message to place into a bottle what would you write?
- Do you live by the sea and are able to potentially throw into the Ocean? Or perhaps a river
- Do you feel strongly that you would not “litter” in this way – in which case you may complete the task virtually
- What would you like to happen with the message?
- Do you hope it is picked up somewhere, miles from home?
- Are you going to create a secret email account in case it is picked up and someone emails you?
- Or would you like to write an anonymous note to someone that you know?
My message in a bottle is a virtual one that I write for my family, distant cousins and strangers, near and far, every day. I toss my bottle into a different type of sea. This virtual ocean is the World Wide Web. As much as I have been fascinated by the concept of “a message in a bottle” over the years, I would never do a physical one. Our planet is already consumed by humanity’s garbage. My message is spread around the world in an instant, without impacting the environment as much as a bottle floating in the ocean does (I do admit that my internet usage requires electricity and does a different type of damage but that is a topic of discussion for another day!). My blog has picked up readers from around the world. Some of them are even distant cousins whom I would not have connected to without my virtual bottle. So thank you, if you have found my virtual bottle and have removed the cork to find my message waiting inside!
©2013 copyright owned and written by Deborah Sweeney
Post originally found at: https://genealogylady.net/2013/12/22/book-of-me-pro…ge-in-a-bottle/