David’s Diary – June 2, 1970

Tuesday, 2 June 1970

Up about 8:15. Had breakfast, shaved; called Mrs. Lilja to ask her to play for our summer hymnsings—she agreed to. Went to the P.O., letter to David Watson, to the church—to change the wayside pulpit; went to town hall to leave off the petition at selectmen’s office re: traffic on Broadway. Then I went to Mill Brook Park—visited with Anna and Alvina, Ethel Leary, Gertrude Parsons and Ellie Martin; then I stopped briefly at the Ornes to pick up a paper. I got home in time for Bonnie to leave for work—about 12:35. I had my lunch. In the afternoon I watered the tomatoes and strawberries, fixed the arm chair, put a piece of peg-board wood as a retainer along a shelf on the back porch. Also—Margaret Reilly came by to look once again at Garcia’s downstairs apt. They had left the key with me. Just before Bonnie came home I started mowing—I’m trying to conquer a little of the yard each day. The grass is very tall in some sections. Mowed from 5:20–5:25. Watched CBS news—had supper. About 7:30 I went to see Dick Manson re: leading hymnsings—but he didn’t answer the door. Came home, did phoning, desk work, also worked on my sermon—a short one for Children’s Sunday—finished about 10:10—wrote to my folks. Stopped to bathe c. 11:30.

Wednesday, 3 June 1970

Up shortly after 9:00. Had breakfast. Shaved, typed out a draft of a letter to the Wesleyan Fellowship members. Took this to Jean Crowell at the bank for her suggestions and approval. Came home, mowed. Stopped around 11:30—typed the stencil for the letter, ran it off—mowed some more—until about 12:45. Had my lunch. Went to the P.O., dropped the letters off at the bank with Jean. Spent the afternoon calling. Saw Louise Rich—Grace Harris wasn’t there. Saw Esther Longley at the Den-Mar; Rip Hannibal—Bertha Wicky and family. I came home about 5:30. Storm clouds gathering, so I rushed to do some more mowing done—but the rain came before I finished. We fixed supper, watched CBS news. I then did some phoning, fixed the door to Bonnie’s study (the small door to keep Debbie out)—it was off the hinges. Then we tinkered with our Coleman stove and lantern—while watching Nixon giving a “progress report” on Cambodia—a tactical success supposedly—but what about long range consequences? What he left unsaid about the whole situation was more important than what he said; wrote a letter to Mrs. Myers. Bathed about 11; off to bed to read; LO c. 12:00.

Thursday, 4 June 1970

Up about 9:00 after Θ. The first thing I did was mow—I had just a little to finish. Then I had breakfast. Then cleaned the lawn mower. Shaved, prepared to leave for Gloucester—Debbie’s regular checkup with Dr. Kline at 11 o’clock. We arrived right on time; as usual we had to wait a while. But were out about noon. Debbie passed with flying colors. We came home after one stop in Gloucester. Had lunch, did some planning for our camping trip next week. I did some calling. I got to Jodreys just as Mrs. Jodrey (+ her son the judge) were preparing to leave on errands—so I’ll see her again next week. I went then to see Mrs. McMartin who is leaving for Scotland tonight. After this visit I came on home—tended to various things: finished cleaning the mower, worked with the clothes line pole in the back yard—anchored in a large chunk of concrete. I don’t know how we’re going to get rid of it. Late in the afternoon I helped Bonnie with supper. Watched CBS news. At 7:30 I left for the Board of Selectmen meeting—presented request for one way (with parking) along Broadway. Home about 9:15. Relaxed, then we asked the Garcias to have a des(s)ert with us. They came over about 10:00—we had a warm pudding-cake. Talked til about midnight—they went home. Read in bed briefly, LO 12:40.

Friday, 5 June 1970

Up about 9:00. Shaved, had breakfast. About 9:45 I left for Gloucester; Jim Bussey and I had a 10 o’clock appointment with Jack Roberts. We arranged for C.A.M.P. to sponsor another drug education program for adults. When we were finished—by 10:30—I stopped briefly on the 2nd floor to see Mrs. Quinn—a member of the Bible class who recently had surgery. I was home by 11:00. Shortly thereafter Bill Crowell arrived with his car and trailer—we hauled odds + ends to the dump, including our incinerator—no more burning—we’ll take everything to the dump. I visited for a while with the Garcias—then Bonnie left for work. I had my lunch. I puttered most of the afternoon. I placed sod where the incinerator had been, read some, napped. I worked on supper. We ate about 6:30—watched CBS news. After supper—about 7:30—I went over to see Dick Manson—he’s going to lead a hymn sing for us. I came home, put the picnic table top on, then for the rest of the evening turned to desk work, telephoning. About 9:30 Bonnie gave me a HAIRCUT—about 10:30 we called the Kings [1] in Detroit. He can’t make it out for my ordination—worked at my desk til about 11:45. Read, bathed, OBLO 1:00 A.M.

[1] Levon King, the minister who married us. He ended up in a different career—and met a tragic end. He died in 2016 in the crash of a small plane that he had built himself:  http://www.pressandguide.com/news/dearborn-couple-killed-in-ohio-plane-crash/article_9f21bc1c-650c-5b7f-8001-1426c8041625.htmlf

Levon King (Photo from Detroit Free Press online, 2016)

© 2017 copyright owned and transcribed by David Madison and Deborah Sweeney

Post originally found: https://genealogylady.net/2017/09/04/davids-diary-june-2-1970/

1 thought on “David’s Diary – June 2, 1970

  1. davidmadison1942

    “Mowed from 5:20–5:25.” Ha Ha! I just checked the diary…typo: I mowed from 5:20 to 6:25! 🙂

    “worked with the clothes line pole in the back yard—anchored in a large chunk of concrete. I don’t know how we’re going to get rid of it.” As I recall, the whole property was pretty run down, especially the dilapidated garage. Didn’t get much help from the parish in making repairs and improvements.

    Great photo of Levon King….he looks very much like he did when I knew him.


Tell Me What You Think

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s