David’s Diary – 2 April 1971

Friday, 2 April 1971

Up about 8:30—after Θ. Shaved, had breakfast. Had several phone calls to make, then went off to St. Mary’s—got there about 9:30. My main concern for the morning was the sermon—and by the time I left for the morning I had the rough draft done. During a break I walked over to the Congregational church to borrow 2 reams of paper. About 11:15 Bonnie came by St. Mary’s with Debbie. She had been to the Congregational church to meet Nancy Bonne, but had found the place locked. So she came by St. Mary’s. We had a nice chat with Dick Bamforth and his wife. Home about noon; Debbie played outside while lunch was being fixed. After we ate, and after Bonnie had left for work, Debbie and I wandered around the yard for a few minutes, then she was willing to take her nap. I rested a while, read some in Life magazine—then turned to the sermon—wrote the final draft. Then without too much enthusiasm or energy turned to reading in Noth—and continued with this until I began preparing supper—allowed Debbie to come downstairs. We ate as soon as Bonnie got home. At 6:30 we took Debbie over to Carol Lewis—then went to Gloucester to see Little Big Man—a very good film—but how ghastly a chapter in American history. The slaughter of the Indians reminded me so much of our present conduct in Vietnam—and at one point I wanted to say outloud in the theatre: “We’re doing this right now in Vietnam folks!” We got to Lewis’ about 9:30—Jerry arrived from New Haven at just the same time! Came home after tea about 10:30—relaxed bathed. OBLO 11:53.

Saturday, 3 April 1971

Up by about 9:30—shaved, had breakfast. My morning was spent at my desk—I was rather lethargic. I made some head-way in the mountain of papers on my desk. Late in the morning I went to Mrs. Cooney’s to pick up some grape juice for taking communion to shut ins. Also went down to Richdales for bread. About 1 o’clock we got up the ambition to fix lunch. About 2 o’clock I started my afternoon’s calling—went first to see Ethel Leary—took her communion. She’s a hard-boiled, sharp-tongued old lady—very poor eyesight—she gets out for many things—but not for church, but probably understandably. So she doesn’t get to communion. About 2:50 I got to Hiltons, gave them communion also—and played Bishop Mathews sermon for them (sermon first)—and shared a dish of ice cream with them at their invitation. Got home about 4:00, then Bonnie, Debbie and I went shopping—went to Mals first of all—saw the free color photos of Debbie which we’ll be getting—very good ones. Got overalls, thermal undershirt (garden wear), and several other items (23 skeins of yarn!). Got home about 6:00—hurriedly fixed supper, since Bonnie had chorus rehearsal; she left shortly after 7:00—played with Debbie for a while, put her to bed—spent the evening preparing tomorrow’s service, practicing sermon. Using the long communion service for the first time. After Bonnie got home, about 10:00 went down to the church to check on how the band left it. Made 5-cup salad [1] after getting home; relaxed, bathed OBLO  c. 11:45  Θ

Sunday, 4 April 1971

Up a few minutes after 8:00. Shaved, had breakfast—my class arrived a few minutes before 9:30. We listened to sides 3 and 4 of Jesus Christ Superstar. Got to the church about 10:40. Had almost 40—communion Sunday. Alice Marr was in a very good mood; she complimented me on the service and on the sermon. We got along well in planning for the Wed evening program—i.e., her presentation of the Oberammergau [2] slides. We didn’t get home til about 12:45. Had lunch, then collapsed. We had planned—since the weather was warm (55°) and sunny—to put the swing set together—but we slept—brief naps turned out to be much longer. About 4:15 I began to stir—but not very much. I tried to get some reading done, but without too much luck. After supper I turned to desk worked—and sorting trash—i.e., deciding what could be placed in the paper recycling box—many things had been tossed into my waste basket which didn’t belong there. Bonnie and Debbie were with me in my study as I was doing this. About 7:30 Bonnie left for Chorus, and by about 8:00 I put Debbie to bed. Then I went back to work in my study. Drafted my Easter letter to the congregation—did a lot of mimeographing of Parish news papers. Snacked. When Bonnie got home I typed stencil for Easter letter, ran it off. Then folded, stuffed etc. Listened to the Fritz Wunderlich record—what a marvelous voice. Bathed about midnight. OBLO 12:25

[1] http://allrecipes.com/recipe/230038/5-cup-salad/ I definitely remember this as a staple from my childhood!

[2] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oberammergau_Passion_Play

David’s diary, 4 April 1971

©2017 copyright owned and transcribed by David Madison and Deborah Sweeney
Post originally found: https://genealogylady.net/2017/12/31/davids-diary-2-april-1971/

Tell Me What You Think

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s