David’s Diary – June 14, 1970

Sunday, 14 June 1970

Up at 5:45 (ugh!)—shaved, got ready to go; we were on the road by 6:30. Arrived at the Bishop’s breakfast at 7:30. This lasted until about 9:00. There was breakfast as well as exhortation by the Bishop. After this broke up we assembled at Andrews Hall for the processional to Meeham Auditorium. The morning service began at 10:00. It was a long service—lasted 2 hrs. 40 minutes—out at 12:40. Included the ordination, sermon, 3 choirs, Lords Supper. When I was ordained Don McGaw joined in the laying on of hands. The most memorable part of the ceremony was Bishop Pickett’s addressing of the questions to the Elders elect. Bishop Pickett (86 years old) assisted Bishop Matthews throughout the service. We headed for Avon about 12:55—got there about 1:45. Had lunch out in the yard—a beautiful sunny day. Then I napped; I was exhausted and had a headache. About 4:00 we started loading the car—preparing to go. Left about 5:00—arrived Rockport at 630—unloaded, took Virginia Bate home, had supper, relaxed; then about 9:00, we went down to Patriquins to share our experience and to catch up on what’s been happening. But we came home shortly after 10:00—it has been an exhausting day, bathed together. OBLO, c. 11 o’clock.

Monday, 15 June 1970

Up about 8:30 after Θ. Went to Richdales for milk, bread, yogurt. Had breakfast, got to work writing this week’s article for the Eagle. I then shaved, and took the article to the Eagle office. From there I went to Mals to purchase a frame for my Elders ordination certificate. Came on home, framed it. Virginia came over to pick up some things she’d left. The morning went quickly. Bonnie left for work about 12:40. I had my lunch, gave Debbie hers; we then went for a walk down to Bearskin Neck. I was wanting to find a peace medallion—but had no luck. We came home; Debbie played in her pen in the yard (as she had this morning)—and I went about watering and applying Rapid-Gro to the strawberries and tomatoes. The strawberries are coming along well. I ate one today—the first of the crop—and it was pretty good. About mid-afternoon Debbie went down for a nap. I tried to read, but became drowsy—so I napped myself. I was just coming to when Bonnie arrived home. We fixed supper; watched CBS news. I got about a half hour of mowing done before Bonnie left for Community Chorus Rehearsal at 8:00. I then puttered at this and that but finally got down to reading in Roberts OTTV—this occupied me for the balance of the evening; had snack around 11:00; more reading; OBLO, 12:25.

Tuesday, 16 June 1970

[Top panel:  Debbie 22 mos today]

Up about 7:15—read while Bonnie was still in bed. After a while I decided to shave and bathe. Bonnie got up while I was still in the tub. My main concern for the day was to make progress in Roberts OTTV. So I spent the morning with this. Bonnie went to the garden to get some weeding done. After she got home, and before she went to work, I did some mowing. When she left I put Debbie out in her play yard while I had lunch. I let her play out there about an hour. It was hard for me to get much done while she was out there—it’s hard to supervise and study at the same time. Since she’d gotten sunburned yesterday I didn’t want her to have too much exposure today. I took a few pictures of her—with Christine [??] in one—in honor of her 22 month birthday. About two I put her down for a nap and she didn’t object. I then was able to study for the rest of the afternoon. Late in the afternoon I put a chocolate cake together—also helped Bonnie with supper—watched CBS news. Photo of Debbie + choc. cake. About 8:00 we left Debbie with Kay Patriquin, then we went to the Gloucester Drive-In to see a movie: Ann of 1000 Days—not bad—but not great. This was out shortly after 11:00—we picked up Debbie, came home, prepared for bed; OBLO midnight.

Wednesday, 17 June 1970

Up shortly before 9:00. Had breakfast, got some reading done in Roberts—this was my concern for the morning. In mid-morning, as a break from reading, I bathed and shaved. After lunch—which we had about 12:30—I went on errands. I went to the Rockport Library to look at Books in Print, I went looking for the peace-medallion again—but the shop that has them was still closed. Went to Gloucester for charcoal briquets + groceries. When I got home—about 1:45 I got back to reading. About mid-afternoon I got a call from Francis (Mrs.) Smith—a visitor in town—her father had been pastor here in 1923—C. B. Ware—she wanted to see the church. I called Homer Orne. We spent about an hour with her, at the church and parsonage. Homer remembered her as a little girl, even had some photos. We took pictures. When she left—her college age daughter was with her—I got back to studying, until about 5:00 or 5:30 when I [?began?] preparing for the Wesleyan Fellowship. Had to get the barbeque ready, get tables + chairs from the church. I lit the fire about 6:45. There were 10 altogether including us; 6 stayed after supper to play PoKeNo[1]—it broke up about 10:00. We had a snack, then I got some further reading done for about an hour; OBLO, c. 11:20.

Diary entry from June 17, 1970

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pokeno_game

©2017 copyright owned and transcribed by David Madison and Deborah Sweeney
Post originally found: https://genealogylady.net/2017/09/09/davids-diary-june-14-1970/

1 thought on “David’s Diary – June 14, 1970

  1. davidmadison1942

    “When I was ordained Don McGaw joined in the laying on of hands.” And Don is still going strong!

    “Photo of Debbie + choc. cake.” A love that would last forever!

    “Homer remembered her as a little girl, even had some photos.” WOW 🙂


Tell Me What You Think

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s