David’s Diary – August 5, 1970

Wednesday, 5 August 1970

Up shortly after 8:00. Had breakfast. Then reluctantly turned to reading—I’m tired of reading—but I have to push on. I was alone (Bonnie and Debbie were off shopping), so I did make some progress. I also designed 2 more banners to make in a couple of weeks—looked through the mail when it came. Bonnie got home, we had lunch. After eating I bathed—I wanted to bathe before Bonnie left the house (I don’t like to be in the bathtub when no one else is around to answer the phone); she left on more shopping (took Carol Lewis and another gal [?] this time left Debbie at home. I shaved, then got to my reading again. Debbie woke up about 2:00. I gave her lunch—then she played in her room the rest of the afternoon. I read half-heartedly. When Bonnie got home I went to the garden. Came home, we had supper, watched CBS news. At 7:30  [we] had a special Administrative Board meeting—at the church—to consider the proposal for joint Sunday Schools (with Epis, Cong.)  It was approved—no real opposition. But we had a long discussion about the church and its problems. We got home about 9:30. Then we had a long visit with Mora—she was babysitting with Debbie + doing her laundry—we had coffee together. She left shortly before 11:00; read in bed.

Thursday, 6 August 1970

Up at 8:20. Had a big breakfast. I had hoped to get reading done in the morning, but Bonnie wanted me to go along to the garden to dig potatoes—so we all three went—picked—rather dug—60 lb of potatoes. We got home around 10:30 or 11:00. This kind of wore me out—but I did get some reading done in the rest of the morning—although there was a lot of noise from the Garcia kids. After lunch, and after I fixed some potato salad for supper I shaved. Then we went to Gloucester—to take Bonnie’s sewing machine in to Sears to be fixed—then we went to Elliots to get a mattress. But their advertising in the paper had been deceptive, so we didn’t find what we’d expected. So we came on home. The remainder of the afternoon I made some, but not much progress—I had to keep fighting off drowsiness. I helped with supper. After eating I did more reading, watered the tomato patch. About 8:15 we went down to Patriquins to watch Ironsides, but it wasn’t on tonight. But we had a nice visit and “mug-ups”—we came home shortly after 10:00—I got more reading done—finished the article on Ezekiel; bathed; read briefly in bed; LO midnight.

Friday, 7 August 1970

Up by 8:30. Had breakfast. My main concern for the day was to get the sermon ready. But I didn’t have great ideas—although I knew my general direction—also, feeling rather lethargic. I read an article in a back issue of Newsweek on Billy Graham—sickening. Also Bonnie wanted suggestions on a letter she’s writing to Ann Fisk re: traffic problems.  Late in the morning I went down to the church to get titles of anthem + choral anthem—and picked up my discipline;[1] took pictures of the two new banners. Came home and by lunch time had a few paragraphs written on the sermon. We had lunch, Bonnie went to work. I devoted the afternoon to the sermon. Debbie didn’t nap, but she played by herself all afternoon in her room—she was very contented—my main problem was, as always, the neighbours; if they’re not on one side of the house, they’re on another. I finished the sermon late in the afternoon, then I typed the bulletin stencil. About 5:45 I began working on supper. Bonnie got home late and tired, so I did supper. We ate, watched CBS news. My evening, apart from a brief cat-nap in my chair, was spent reading IB intros to Hosea, Joel and Amos. Stopped to prepare for bed, bathed, about 12:00. OBLO, 12:50.

Saturday, 8 August 1970

Up about 9:00. Had breakfast; then got to my reading. I went ahead reading the introductions to the prophetic books in the IB. I kept to this in the a.m. Bonnie spent the morning collecting signatures on Hale St. re: getting the one way direction reversed. We had lunch about 12:30. I shaved, then did some more reading. About 2:00 I went up to the garden, picked vegetables to take to Lucy Patience. Then I went to see her. From there I went to the Den-Mar nursing home to see Esther Longley. I got home again shortly after 4:00. Mora was here—along with all the kids. We had a coffee break together—I with my 7-up in view of the hot day. About 5:00 I went back to my reading. But I got drowsy, so I napped. Bonnie called me to supper about 6:30. We ate, watched NBC news. Then I prepared the service for tomorrow, watered the tomato plants. At 9:00 we went to see MASH at the Little Arts Cinema. We enjoyed it very much. Mora stayed here at the house with Debbie, doing her laundry. We got home about 11:00—we exchanged observation with Mora on the film—it was well done. Relaxed, read for a while; bathed; OBLO 12:10.

[1] Namely, a book called The Discipline, which defined church policy in great detail.

David’s Diary, August 8, 1970

©2017 copyright owned and transcribed by David Madison and Deborah Sweeney
Post originally found: https://genealogylady.net/2017/09/26/davids-diary-august-5-1970/

1 thought on “David’s Diary – August 5, 1970

  1. davidmadison1942

    “I read an article in a back issue of Newsweek on Billy Graham—sickening.” My mother felt the same way! She was turned off by the showmanship.

    “we went to see MASH at the Little Arts Cinema.” I think the TV series followed.

    Yes, I got so weary of all the heavy, academic reading. 😦


Tell Me What You Think

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s