David’s Diary – January 8, 1970

Thursday, 8 January 1970

We stayed in bed rather late; Θ before getting up. I got up about 9:45—the first thing I did—even before breakfast, was level the new refrigerator so that the doors close automatically. After breakfast I re-arranged the front bedroom to make room for Debbie’s gym. The morning was rather short since we got up so late, but I did some desk work (.e.g figured out the phone bill for Bonnie, ordered a saw from Sears in Boston). We had a late lunch; I helped William Sesto get his car started—i.e., he used my battery with jumper-cables. I got a HAIRCUT from Bonnie, then shaved. Went down to the P.O. and church, changed the wayside pulpit; then went to visit Lucy Patience. Was there with her for about hour and a half. Came home, relaxed with paper, tended to more desk work (Bonnie was napping)  Then I started working on supper about 6:30, watched CBS news. Roger Smith called—gave me the financial report—indicated that there could be no raise in salary—hardly a surprise. The evening was spent at desk work, telephoning, playing with Debbie, and repairing my briefcase—trying to reattach one end of the handle. By the end of the evening I had accomplished several things I’d been wanting to do for a while—my desk is relatively clean. Bathed. Off to bed, lights out, about 1:00 AM.

Friday, 9 January 1970

Up about 9:00. Finished fixing briefcase. Had breakfast, shaved, and went to Dr. Clapp’s office—got my new glasses. Came home, prepared to leave for BU. Caught the 11:15 train; read some New Republic articles on the way in. Bought the January Playboy at N. Station. Went directly to Sears, picked up the sabre saw, then went to BU. Had lunch in Oxnam lounge. Then went about registration procedures. Picked up the materials; had a 2:30 appointment with Dr. Beck; saw him about 2:50. We had a chance to chat about several things; I arranged for him to come to speak to Methodist Men in May. After seeing him I completed registering; then caught the trolley. Was able to make the 4:55 train. Read Playboy on the way home; looked over my sabre saw. Got home about six; looked through two boxes of slides which came in the mail. We put them on the scene briefly before CBS news. Supper wasn’t ready—at 7:30 I went to Home Ornes for a finance committee meeting; I got a small raise: $90; the church is in a tight situation; conference claims are up and the side of the church needs painting. Got home about 9:30. Had supper, looked over saw, did some cutting; Bonnie + I bathed together, OBLO Θ by 12:00.

Saturday, 10 January 1970

We were surprised to find ourselves still in bed at 9:45. I got up immediately, had breakfast, then got to work on my sermon—did some phoning. Interrupted by Ed Nutting, [1] who brought over some bulletin inserts—then the mail man arrived, and I looked through Life magazine. Then it was back to the sermon while Bonnie went shopping. Shaved. I went ahead and had lunch when Bonnie didn’t get back—and prepared to set out on calling when she returned, which I did. Went to see the Hannibals, then to Hazle Lord—Barbara was taken ill to the hospital last night; then I went to see Esther Longley. Got home about 5:00 and set to work on the bulletins. I got the stencil prepared, but then had to drop everything to get ready to go to Lewis—due there at 6:30. We had supper with them (Debbie went along), and had a pleasant evening visiting and getting to know them; then we got ready to go about 10:30. When I got home I ran off the bulletins, then got to work on the sermon again—finished about 1:20—stopped to write this; then worked on the service; didn’t bother to bathe; OBLO, 2:10.

Sunday, 11 January 1970

Got up about 8:30—felt my lack of sleep. Small breakfast, practiced sermon, shaved; Billy Elwell again was my only pupil. We read Genesis 27. I left for the church about 10:35. Only about 30 in church; I preached on “Treasures in Earthen Vessels” (or: “What Is Prophecy?”). After we got home and had lunch—shortly after one Jerry and Carol Lewis dropped by—Jerry and I went to their home to get the youth bed which they are loaning to us. We got it all set up in Debbie’s room. After they had gone, we put Debbie down for a nap in her new bed, and settled down for naps ourselves—but she fell out of bed, cut her lip and was pretty upset. I got an ice cube for her to suck on. At 3:30 I had a steering-committee meeting for Joint Youth. This lasted til 5:30. When I came home found the neighbors here watching TV football. After they left we had supper. Then I went over to Addison Gilbert hospital to see Barbara Lord. As soon as I got back, shortly after 8:00 we went down to the Patriquins—showed them our latest two batches of slides—had “mug-up”—relaxed and visited. Came home after all—very tired—bathed. Off to bed, lights out 12:10.

Monday, 12 January 1970

Up at 9:00. Had very little to eat and got to work—a great deal of desk work to get done today. One of my main concerns was to get the C.A.M.P. [2] questionnaire under way. Also, late in the morning (11:30) I went over to see Cathy Arvilla about helping with the Joint Youth Group for $15 per week. Then I went to Gloucester to buy 1.6¢ envelopes for the C.A.M.P. mailing—got cash from Homer Orne. Was back home by 12:30—Bonnie went to work. I had my lunch, then spent the afternoon at my desk. Debbie played by herself then napped. About mid-afternoon I popped 3 batches of popcorn—for the birds. I took one photo through the front window. Late in the afternoon I began work on a stencil. When Bonnie got home about 5:30 I went to Gloucester to take the envelopes to Mrs. Rust (Riverdale). She will address the Riverdale mailing. Then I came home, had supper; watched CBS news. At 7:45 I picked up Virginia Bate. She sat with Debbie while we went to the “splash” part[y] at the Tuchs. We had to pay—fund raising for the community chorus. We got there about 8:30. Didn’t swim for more than an hour—but it was fun. Bonnie did wrench her back however. After swimming there was eating + visiting; home by 10:30; took Virginia home; home again—B + I bathed together, OBLO 11:35.

[1] Nutting was pastor of the Congregational Church.

[2] Cape Ann Methodist Parish

©2017 copyright owned and transcribed by David Madison and Deborah Sweeney
Post originally found: https://genealogylady.net/2017/07/22/davids-diary-january-8-1970/

1 thought on “David’s Diary – January 8, 1970

  1. davidmadison1942

    “Roger Smith called—gave me the financial report—indicated that there could be no raise in salary—hardly a surprise.” I was officially part-time.

    “my desk is relatively clean” Hasn’t happened since…. 🙂

    “then got to work on the sermon again—finished about 1:20—” 😦 😦 😦

    “she fell out of bed, cut her lip and was pretty upset.” Oh No!


Tell Me What You Think

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s