David’s Diary – August 11, 1969

Monday, 11 August 1969

I made a successful return to German today; last night I again had trouble getting to sleep last night, so I didn’t get up until about 9:30. After breakfast I got to work on German, and began to make significant progress after the mail arrived. After lunch (+ shaving) I got back to Germany until after 3:00; changed Wayside pulpit, went to the P.O., went to Gloucester on errands; came home by about 5:00 and worked on German until supper time. Watched CBS news with supper. Then did painting; put second coat on window in the back hall. About 9:00 returned to German. This evening I suggested to Bonnie that we buy a camper and vacation here in the U.S. next summer; Bonnie goes for this. Bathed around 11:00, then returned to working on German. Bonnie has one cushion of my chair recovered; OBLO, 12:30.

Tuesday, 12 August 1969

A lot of physical exercise today. Up about 9:00; after breakfast I went to Gloucester to Sears store and bought oil for the mower. On the way home I picked up Bill Crowell’s trailer. At home I filled it up: got rid of a big pile of rotting wood out back + the old trash barrel. When I got back from the dump I got the mower ready to run (change oil, clean filter); then mowed about half the yard before stopping for lunch around 1:00; after lunch shaved, Then called VW place in Beverly about ordering 1970 VW—they won’t have specifications + pricing till October. I changed tire on the VW and finished mowing; bathed, did an errand at the hardware store then visited Lucy Patience; home again, napped, fixed supper while Bonnie worked on the cushions. After supper (+ CBS news) worked in study—mimeoed advert for Hymnsing. Hung curtains, bathed after news at 11:00, OB Study German; LO 12:08.

Wednesday, 13 August 1969

Up not too long after 8:00; breakfast after shaving; put car top carrier on, then left for Boston around 9:50. Arrived at BU in good time, found a parking place in front of the School of Theology; checked on a few details, then drove down to Cokesbury; then walked on down to the Gardens (Boston Public) ate my lunch and took a few photos. Then about 12:45 headed to the airport; watched planes coming and going Bob, Lee + John arrived about 2:24. We headed home, stopping for booze + bread on the way; got here about 4:00. Relaxed, visited, began preparations for supper—barbecued chicken outside; when we finished supper we went strolling down to Bearskin Neck; Bonnie + Lea  went their way, Bob, John + I ours. Later we got together, came home, viewed our vacation slides; visited, bathed; OB, LO c. midnight.

Thursday, 14 August 1969

A day of little accomplishment. Up shortly after 8:00; had breakfast, then took the cat over to Dr. Babson’s office to be spayed, came home, had breakfast. I simply was not in the mood to do German, so got no more than a few sentences done all day. After lunch (loafed in the A.M.) I went back to Babson’s office to get the cat—she (or rather now, “it”) is miserable. When I got home, Lee + Bob were removing the things from my study—the carpet was on the way—so a good part of the afternoon was spent putting my study in order. Later we all went down to the Neck, where are Lea bought a $150 painting (on velvet; a ship). Home again, I stayed with Debbie while others went for a ride; I watched CBS news, napped.  We had supper about 8:30, relaxed, chatted all evening. Stopped to bathe about 11:00; we pity the cat, who appears to be in pain; OB to read LO, 11:24.

Friday, 15 August 1969

Forget when I got up; right after breakfast I went to Cape Ann Ticket + Label Co. to approve letterhead; when I got home + finally got to work, it was on my sermon; I had it outlined by the end of the morning; Bonnie + Lea came home from shopping with several purchases—mostly for Debbie. After lunch I went to work again on the sermon; stopped about 3:00 and went to see Mrs Patience—found out when I got there that John died this morning. After staying a while there I went to see Homer Orne, mainly to get check for postage. Came home, went to the post office, then went down to Bearskin Neck to do gift shopping for Bonnie + Debbie’s birthdays. After getting home wrapped gifts; about 6:00 we went to Captain Courageous restaurant in Gloucester. Visited statute [sic]—came home, chatted all evening; bathed OBLO, 12:38.

Saturday, 16 August 1969

–Debbie 1 year old!  Got up about 8:00. Had breakfast, shaved, went back to bed (dressed) until about 9:00. Then I took Bob, Lea + John to Logan airport; was home by 11:15. Grandma + Emil were here. The rest of the day was spent on the move for the most part—and I finished the sermon between runs. About 2:40 I went to the church to help set up tables (about 2:30 Pat Henry called from Canada—wanting more info. on Diane); then about 3:30 I went to see Lucy Patience about the funeral service. Returned home, finished sermon, about 5:00 I went to the church to meet people + possibly be of help. Bonnie + the others came down about 6:00. I went home by 8:00, we played with Debbie; gave her more gifts. I worked on the service, did the bulletins. Visited with Grandma + Emil. Bathed, OBLO about 10:30.

Sunday, 17 August 1969

Up shortly before 8:30. Breakfast, shaved, practiced sermon, off to church about 9:40, About 36 in service—preached on Fishers of Men—very hot + sticky. After church showed my newly “rugged” study to Drew + Kay. Went out to Roy Lee about ordering new car and Playboy’s[1] came home, had lunch, about 2 o’clock took the cats to Dr. Babson’s office—had to wait (Kay Patriquin went too) mother cat had stitches out; daughter cat had distemper shot—home by 3:30. Napped—5:30–6:30 love making—unsuccessfully; we talked about our difficulties over supper. About 7:30 I went to the funeral home, sat with Lucy Patience about half an hour. Came home about 8:30. We then went down to Patriquins. Had birthday party for Debbie; took pictures + movies. Stayed until 11:00; watched late news; bathed, OBLO, 12:07.

[1] This entry surprised me! In college I had a huge collection of Playboy magazines—in fact I had every issues for several years running. I sold that at one point. I guess I was trying to convince myself that I was straight; it was also a matter of posturing (determined to convince others as well).

©2017 copyright owned and transcribed by David Madison and Deborah Sweeney
Post originally found: https://genealogylady.net/2017/06/23/davids-diary-august-11-1969/

1 thought on “David’s Diary – August 11, 1969

  1. davidmadison1942

    “I suggested to Bonnie that we buy a camper and vacation here in the U.S. next summer” Another mindset…ancient history…

    “We headed home, stopping for booze + bread on the way” Ha Ha…defiling the Methodist parsonage. 🙂

    “Lea bought a $150 painting (on velvet; a ship)” I remember that. It was truly hideous.

    “Then I took Bob, Lea + John to Logan airport” They probably got out on Saturday so that they wouldn’t have to endure church on Sunday!


Tell Me What You Think

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s