David’s Diary – March 11, 1970

Wednesday, 11 March 1970

Up shortly before 9:00. Had breakfast. *Phone call from Wally Aufrecht—we arranged my DSS program with his church. Then tried to get some Aramaic done. But I didn’t have time to make much progress. Had to shaved [sic] and prepare to leave for Boston. Carol Lewis came over and was here when I left about 11:00. Walked as usual to the train station. Took the 11:15 train. Got to BU shortly before 1:00. Had my lunch, then did some errands: did some phoning. Then made it to OT Theology from 2:00–3:00. Followed Beck to his office. Helped with the tea, we also went across Commonwealth Avenue to buy some cookies for seminar. Got back + had a cup of tea together. Seminar met 4:10–5:50. The paper today was on eschatology; I really wasn’t too interested today. Left about 6:00 for North Station; took the 6:40 train—arrived home just about 8:00. Pictures had arrived from Mail-A-Way. We had supper, and I looked through the photos. The new roll of b + w wasn’t so good—but on the whole we now have a good big batch of photos to send away. Will send 18 to Penang. I wrote a letter to Mrs. Myers, included some pictures. Then spent 9:30–11:30 on Aramaic—Codex Neofiti-Genesis 4; 11:30 bathed, watched Johnny Carson; OBLO, 12:40. Θ+

Thursday, 12 March 1970

Up shortly after 8:00; had no breakfast; took a glass of juice to my desk—worked on Aramaic translation. I worked on this til about 9:45. Then shaved, went to Gloucester, to the Addison-Gilbert hospital to pick up the 41 copies of the FFR proposal for a grant. On the way home I stopped at the grocery store for Syrian bread. Came on home—arrived shortly after 11:00, and got back to work on Aramaic. Bonnie called me to lunch a few minutes before 12:00. After eating got ready to leave; caught the 1:15 train to Boston; did Aramaic on the way. I first went to 581 Boylston St. to leave off the 41 proposal copies, then went to BU; glanced through the Playboy magazine which I’d bought a[t] N. Station. Then did a few errands—went to do xeroxing—Elaine Follis was there doing some items for Dr. Beck. Then we had Aramaic together from 4:00–5:30 with Dr. Richardson. When this was over caught the trolley (Elaine rode as far as Park St.) to N. Station, took the 6:40 train home—arrived shortly after 8:00. Had supper, relaxed, after playing with Debbie, after 9:00—we went to Patriquins; we came home about 10:40. Relaxed, bathed; watched Johnny Carson—Helen Hayes was a guest; OBLO, 12:40.

Friday, 13 March 1970

Not out of bed til after 9:30. A miserable stormy day outside—snow + sleet. I went at a leisurely pace today. The day was spent “puttering” for the most part: getting caught up on desk work. The morning was short, so I didn’t get much done then. We had lunch around 12:15—then Bonnie left for work. Debbie slept most of the time she was gone. I continued at my desk. Late in the afternoon I wrote a long letter to Bonnie’s folks—describing the 20 photos that we’re sending. After Bonnie got home I walked down to the church to change the wayside pulpit. When I got home we worked on supper and decided to go to a show; watched CBS news. Early in the evening I worked on Greek. I’m going to try to renew my knowledge in this area. About 8:30 we left Debbie with the Sesto’s, then went to Gloucester to see John and Mary. This was over about 10:15. We returned home—i.e., to Sestos—they invited us to stay for tea—so we chatted with them on a variety of subjects. We didn’t come home til about 12:30. // Saw a funny skit on Sesame Street this a.m.—re: blowing the banana—“that’s weird, man” // we bathed together. Then OBLO; LO, 1:12.

Saturday, 14 March 1970

Up about 9:30 after Θ. My first concern was to get the letter ready to send to Bonnie’s parents—after breakfast, that is. Also I wrote a letter to David Watson. After the mail man had delivered our mail I went to the post office—$1.50 to mail the letter to Penang. Came home, shaved worked on Greek until lunch time. While I was fixing lunch (Bonnie was over seeing Cameron Sesto) I called Margaret Reilly—she was finally home!—with her broken arm. I arranged to see her for tea at 3:30. Then we had lunch, and I started out on my calling; went to see Hannibals; from there I went to Esther Longley’s. Then I came home; walked to Margaret’s apartment. She wasn’t home yet (gone of beauty shop)—but I waited inside til she came. We chatted about Alan until 4:30. Then I went to see Lucy Patience. I stayed with her until about 5:30. Walked down to Richdales for yogurt. Came home—Bonnie had supper in the oven. I worked on Greek again until 6:30. Went down to watch the news (NBC) we had supper. Then I had to work on the service: did the bulletins—then I started on the sermon. I’d been planning for days what to write—so it wasn’t too great a chore. I finally finished all preparations after 12:00. We bathed together; OBLO 1 A.M.

©2017 copyright owned and transcribed by David Madison and Deborah Sweeney
Post originally found: https://genealogylady.net/2017/08/07/davids-diary-march-11-1970/

1 thought on “David’s Diary – March 11, 1970

  1. davidmadison1942

    “The paper today was on eschatology; I really wasn’t too interested today.” Ha ha! The worst of theology.

    “then I started on the sermon. I’d been planning for days what to write—so it wasn’t too great a chore.’ That’s the nice thing about planning topics well ahead…the thoughts are sometimes pretty much in place, 🙂


Tell Me What You Think

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s