David’s Diary – February 1, 1971

Monday, 1 February 1971

[Top panel: NT reading: Mark 13; OT reading: Ezekiel 1]

This was the big day. Up shortly before 8:00—feeling perfectly lousy. I had gone to bed last night about 1:00—but couldn’t get to sleep. Shortly before 2:00 I came downstairs to sleep. I certainly didn’t get much more than 5 hours sleep. Shaved after eating—dressed, prepared to leave. Caught the 9:20 train. Reviewed material, notes, all the way into Boston. I arrived at BU just about 11:10. I reviewed some more, plus read some brief articles. Then about 12:30 I went to the refectory and had lunch. Then at 1:00 I picked up the test. Had to write on four questions out of five. #1 on the documentary hypothesis. #2 on von Rad’s contributions to Deuteronomy; #3 on Ginsberg’s approach to Daniel; #4 on Lindblom’s treatment of ecstacy among the prophets. I took the full 4 hours which they allowed me, (instead of just 3 as is usually the case). It was a very fair exam—since largely these were the areas where my restudy had been directed. As soon as I finished the exam I left BU—caught the 5:50 train home. The clock of the Congregational church struck 7:00 just as I was walking home. Had supper. At about 7:30 Bonnie left for community chorus rehearsal—so I was left with Debbie for the evening. I was drained. Watched TV; paced the floor—the wind-down takes time. Bathed about 11:00; washed my filthy hair—had to sit under the dryer. OBLO c. 12:45.

Tuesday, 2 February 1971

[Top panel: NT reading: Mark 14; OT: Ezekiel 2]

Following the pattern of the last few nights, I wasn’t able to get to sleep. So I got up and read a while—finally about 2:30—went back to bed—downstairs, to avoid waking Bonnie. We were awakened about 8:30 by the phone. We didn’t get to it in time—I didn’t even try. Then about 9:00 it rang again—Terry Thomason, calling from Boston, returning Bonnie’s call (yesterday)—she had questions to ask him about tax forms. About 9:30 we had breakfast. In the morning I did some straightening in my study, shaved, wrote my weekly letter to Mrs. Myers. About 11:30 I went to the Post office, then to the building center—bought the materials to build the doll house for Debbie. Home about noon, ate lunch; then at 12:30 picked up Virginia. She stayed with Debbie while I took Bonnie to work, then made some calls: on Barbara Olson and her father Joseph Tarvis—who is elderly and ill. Also saw Mary Jane—for whom I’m to fill out a recommendation form. From there I went to see Charles O’Reilly—whose wife I buried just a few days ago. We had a very nice visit—he appears to be well read—after discussing his own personal adjustments, the conversation wandered into politics—we think very much alike. Went to see Rip Hannibal briefly. Home about 3:30. Prepared for C.O.C.U. group tonight; prepared supper. Read I.F. Stone. Jim Bussey was with us for supper; he brought Bonnie home from the hospital. He left about 7:00. C.O.C.U. 7:30–9:30—small group. Then relaxed, read. Bathed OBLO midnight.

Wednesday, 3 February 1971

[Top panel:  NT: Mark 15-16; Ezekiel 3]

Up before 9:30 after Θ. After having breakfast I worked at my desk—a big backlog of papers. Bonnie went off with Carol Lewis to do some shopping—Debbie stayed here with me—watched Sesame Street—a regular morning routine. Late in the morning I shaved—just about noon I prepared an article for the Gloucester Daily Times re: Mac White’s visit this Sunday. Bonnie got home before 12:30. We had lunch, then I headed for Gloucester. Got to Jim’s shortly after 1:00. John Dunnach was supposed to arrive for a meeting re: arranging this Sunday’s Annual Charge Conference. He never showed up. But Merle Steva (the Baptist minister in Gloucester who’s shortly moving to Colorado) was there teaching Jim how to smoke a pipe! He stayed most of the hour and we had a nice chat, but then after he left Jim and I did some planning. I went from there to the Times office, then stopped in Gloucester to leave some slides off at the camera shop to be made into prints. Headed home, tended to getting the proposed budget mimeographed for the Board meeting tonight. Relaxed briefly before preparing supper. After supper went down to the church, chatted with the boys who have the rock band—several of the older folks object to their running up the heat bill. Shortly after I got home Dr. Beck called to say that I’d passed the exam! Administrative Board 7:30–9:30. Called Beck to arrange an appointment. Puttered in study. Straightened up.

David’s Diary, 3 February 1971

©2017 copyright owned and transcribed by David Madison and Deborah Sweeney
Post originally found: https://genealogylady.net/2017/12/04/davids-diary-february-1-1971/

Tell Me What You Think

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s